Memory failure on DIMM2 Dell T3500

up vote
down vote

favorite

I'm having troubles with my DELL T3500.  It has:

• a w5590 3.33 GHz 4c/8t

• 12 GB (3 × 4 GB) RAM DDR3 1333 MHz

I get the message Memory failure on DIMM2 Dell T3500 when I turn on my computer and it starts to boot up. 
I continuously hit F1 to continue so I could use my PC but now it shows in the Task Manager only 8 GB available. 

How can I fix it? I already switched the RAM between slots something like 5 or 6 times. It always says DIMM2 regardless what I change.

share|improve this question

• Seems like a hardware problem. Ensure that the DIMM slot is clean. I once had to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the base of the RAM sticks when I had a RAM problem (which might not be your problem).
    – harrymc
    Nov 24 at 19:37

• @harrymc, pencil eraser isn't exactly the tool that professionals would use to clean their RAM stick contacts with. No offence :) Although, it might work.
    – Aulis Ronkainen
    Nov 24 at 19:44

• @AulisRonkainen: One uses the tools at hand. I agree that this isn't the best tool for the job and was rather surprised that it worked. I don't recommend it, of course.
    – harrymc
    Nov 24 at 19:47

• @harrymc, yes absolutely, I agree 100%. OP, can you run memory diagnostics or does it even show the third RAM stick?
    – Aulis Ronkainen
    Nov 24 at 20:06

• Given that OP ends ip with 8G working (2 out of 3) I would assume three are seen and one is disabled.
    – Hennes
    Nov 24 at 20:21

up vote
down vote

favorite

• a w5590 3.33 GHz 4c/8t

I get the message Memory failure on DIMM2 Dell T3500 when I turn on my computer and it starts to boot up. 
I continuously hit F1 to continue so I could use my PC but now it shows in the Task Manager only 8 GB available. 

How can I fix it? I already switched the RAM between slots something like 5 or 6 times. It always says DIMM2 regardless what I change.

• Seems like a hardware problem. Ensure that the DIMM slot is clean. I once had to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the base of the RAM sticks when I had a RAM problem (which might not be your problem).
    – harrymc

• @harrymc, pencil eraser isn't exactly the tool that professionals would use to clean their RAM stick contacts with. No offence :) Although, it might work.
    – Aulis Ronkainen

• @AulisRonkainen: One uses the tools at hand. I agree that this isn't the best tool for the job and was rather surprised that it worked. I don't recommend it, of course.
    – harrymc

• @harrymc, yes absolutely, I agree 100%. OP, can you run memory diagnostics or does it even show the third RAM stick?
    – Aulis Ronkainen

• Given that OP ends ip with 8G working (2 out of 3) I would assume three are seen and one is disabled.
    – Hennes

up vote
down vote

favorite

up vote
down vote

favorite

• a w5590 3.33 GHz 4c/8t

• a w5590 3.33 GHz 4c/8t

memory bios hardware-failure

edited Nov 24 at 20:22

Hennes

58.7k792141

58.7k792141

asked Nov 24 at 18:02

Ricardo Caldera

– harrymc

– Aulis Ronkainen

– harrymc

– Aulis Ronkainen

– Hennes

– harrymc

– Aulis Ronkainen

– harrymc

– Aulis Ronkainen

– Hennes

Seems like a hardware problem. Ensure that the DIMM slot is clean. I once had to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the base of the RAM sticks when I had a RAM problem (which might not be your problem).
– harrymc

Seems like a hardware problem. Ensure that the DIMM slot is clean. I once had to use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the base of the RAM sticks when I had a RAM problem (which might not be your problem).
– harrymc

@harrymc, pencil eraser isn't exactly the tool that professionals would use to clean their RAM stick contacts with. No offence :) Although, it might work.
– Aulis Ronkainen

@harrymc, pencil eraser isn't exactly the tool that professionals would use to clean their RAM stick contacts with. No offence :) Although, it might work.
– Aulis Ronkainen

@AulisRonkainen: One uses the tools at hand. I agree that this isn't the best tool for the job and was rather surprised that it worked. I don't recommend it, of course.
– harrymc

@AulisRonkainen: One uses the tools at hand. I agree that this isn't the best tool for the job and was rather surprised that it worked. I don't recommend it, of course.
– harrymc

@harrymc, yes absolutely, I agree 100%. OP, can you run memory diagnostics or does it even show the third RAM stick?
– Aulis Ronkainen

@harrymc, yes absolutely, I agree 100%. OP, can you run memory diagnostics or does it even show the third RAM stick?
– Aulis Ronkainen

Given that OP ends ip with 8G working (2 out of 3) I would assume three are seen and one is disabled.
– Hennes

Given that OP ends ip with 8G working (2 out of 3) I would assume three are seen and one is disabled.
– Hennes

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

up vote
down vote

You have a Xeon W5590 CPU which uses triple channel memory. That means it can utilize 3 banks of memory at the same time for higher performance. For this reason your system also comes equipped with 3 memory modules (DDR3, 667MHz)

When your system powers on its firmware (either BIOS or UEFI in a PC) determines how much memory is present. Usually it also checks the memory.

During this check it discovered errors when accessing the DIMM in bank2. This can have multiple causes, but the most likely ones are:

• A broken memory controller (which is part of the CPU since the Nehelam series, and your CPU is a Nehelam based Xeon),

• Broken path between the memory controller and the DIMM socket (which can include dirt between the contacts)

• A broken DIMM connector (motherboard side)

• Or a broken DIMM.

Your firmware detected three 4GB DIMMs. One faulty. It made the choice of using both working DIMMs and ignoring the third, which is why you now have 2x4GB to work with.

Now to fixing this:

Since you already moved the DIMMs around and always got the same error we can assume that it is not the DIMM itself. That leaves the memory controller and the physical path between the memory controller and the DIMM.

If it is dirt then you are lucky, Cleaning the contacts might help.

If it is the motherboard then best you can do is try different configurations. Most Nehelam boards come with 6 DIMM sockets, and their layout might be described as:

Dimm 1 on channel 1A

Dimm 2 on channel 1B

Dimm 3 on channel 1C

Dimm 4 on channel 2A

Dimm 5 on channel 2B

Dimm 6 on channel 3C

Memory will usually be in the socket corresponding to 1A,1B and 1C, alloing all the memory parts to be used simultaneously. But 1A, 1C, 2B etc also may work.

May since the only Nehelam boards I owned only supported very specific memory fill sequences.

If it is the memory controller then there is nothing you can do short of replacing it. And since it is part of the CPU that means replacing the whole CPU.

share|improve this answer

• Dell actually has a page listing the possible memory configurations for the T3500: dell.com/support/article/de/de/debsdt1/sln288863/… They list the 3 first slots or all six slots as possible configuration for 4 GB RAM modules.
    – User025
    Nov 24 at 21:24

• This can't be a problem with the CPU, which by the documentation can support up to 144 GB. It's surely a motherboard limitation.
    – harrymc
    Nov 24 at 21:29

up vote
down vote

Dell
specifies
that for 12 GB the 4GB sticks should be in DIMM1, DIMM2 and DIMM3.

However, according to the Crucial site article
Dell Precision Workstation T3500 compatible upgrades,
it only proposes upgrades in single 4 GB or two 4 GB,
so the manual might be misleading.

I suggest running the Crucial memory scanner
to see what it suggests as memory upgrades for your computer.
Check well the specifications of the sticks it suggests against the ones
you bought.
It might be that some property of your RAM makes it impossible for the motherboard
to accept more than two. Normally this is caused by too-large memory chips
or too many memory channels on the each stick.

I also suggest cleaning well all contacts.

Your Answer

StackExchange.ready(function() {
    var channelOptions = {
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "3"
    };
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
    createEditor();
    });
    }
    else {
    createEditor();
    }
    });

function createEditor() {
    StackExchange.prepareEditor({
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: true,
    noModals: true,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: 10,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    imageUploader: {
    brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
    contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
    allowUrls: true
    },
    onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    });

}
    });

draft saved

draft discarded

StackExchange.ready(
    function () {
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fsuperuser.com%2fquestions%2f1378070%2fmemory-failure-on-dimm2-dell-t3500%23new-answer', 'question_page');
    }
    );

Post as a guest

Required, but never shown

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

active

oldest

votes

active

oldest

votes

up vote
    down vote

You have a Xeon W5590 CPU which uses triple channel memory. That means it can utilize 3 banks of memory at the same time for higher performance. For this reason your system also comes equipped with 3 memory modules (DDR3, 667MHz)

When your system powers on its firmware (either BIOS or UEFI in a PC) determines how much memory is present. Usually it also checks the memory.

During this check it discovered errors when accessing the DIMM in bank2. This can have multiple causes, but the most likely ones are:

• A broken memory controller (which is part of the CPU since the Nehelam series, and your CPU is a Nehelam based Xeon),

• Broken path between the memory controller and the DIMM socket (which can include dirt between the contacts)

• Or a broken DIMM.

Your firmware detected three 4GB DIMMs. One faulty. It made the choice of using both working DIMMs and ignoring the third, which is why you now have 2x4GB to work with.

Now to fixing this:

Since you already moved the DIMMs around and always got the same error we can assume that it is not the DIMM itself. That leaves the memory controller and the physical path between the memory controller and the DIMM.

If it is the motherboard then best you can do is try different configurations. Most Nehelam boards come with 6 DIMM sockets, and their layout might be described as:

Dimm 1 on channel 1A

Dimm 2 on channel 1B

Dimm 3 on channel 1C

Dimm 4 on channel 2A

Dimm 5 on channel 2B

Dimm 6 on channel 3C

Memory will usually be in the socket corresponding to 1A,1B and 1C, alloing all the memory parts to be used simultaneously. But 1A, 1C, 2B etc also may work.

May since the only Nehelam boards I owned only supported very specific memory fill sequences.

If it is the memory controller then there is nothing you can do short of replacing it. And since it is part of the CPU that means replacing the whole CPU.

• Dell actually has a page listing the possible memory configurations for the T3500: dell.com/support/article/de/de/debsdt1/sln288863/… They list the 3 first slots or all six slots as possible configuration for 4 GB RAM modules.
      – User025

• This can't be a problem with the CPU, which by the documentation can support up to 144 GB. It's surely a motherboard limitation.
      – harrymc

up vote
    down vote

• Or a broken DIMM.

Now to fixing this:

Dimm 1 on channel 1A

Dimm 2 on channel 1B

Dimm 3 on channel 1C

Dimm 4 on channel 2A

Dimm 5 on channel 2B

Dimm 6 on channel 3C

– User025

– harrymc

up vote
    down vote

up vote
    down vote

• Or a broken DIMM.

Now to fixing this:

Dimm 1 on channel 1A

Dimm 2 on channel 1B

Dimm 3 on channel 1C

Dimm 4 on channel 2A

Dimm 5 on channel 2B

Dimm 6 on channel 3C

• Or a broken DIMM.

Now to fixing this:

Dimm 1 on channel 1A

Dimm 2 on channel 1B

Dimm 3 on channel 1C

Dimm 4 on channel 2A

Dimm 5 on channel 2B

Dimm 6 on channel 3C

answered Nov 24 at 20:20

Hennes

58.7k792141

58.7k792141

– User025

– harrymc

– User025

– harrymc

Dell actually has a page listing the possible memory configurations for the T3500: dell.com/support/article/de/de/debsdt1/sln288863/… They list the 3 first slots or all six slots as possible configuration for 4 GB RAM modules.
    – User025

Dell actually has a page listing the possible memory configurations for the T3500: dell.com/support/article/de/de/debsdt1/sln288863/… They list the 3 first slots or all six slots as possible configuration for 4 GB RAM modules.
    – User025

This can't be a problem with the CPU, which by the documentation can support up to 144 GB. It's surely a motherboard limitation.
    – harrymc

This can't be a problem with the CPU, which by the documentation can support up to 144 GB. It's surely a motherboard limitation.
    – harrymc

up vote
    down vote

Dell
    specifies

you bought.
    It might be that some property of your RAM makes it impossible for the motherboard

up vote
      down vote

Dell
      specifies

you bought.

up vote
        down vote

up vote
        down vote

Dell
        specifies

you bought.

Dell
        specifies

you bought.

answered Nov 24 at 21:42

harrymc

250k11258554

250k11258554

draft saved

draft discarded

Thanks for contributing an answer to Super User!

• Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid

• Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

• Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.

Some of your past answers have not been well-received, and you're in danger of being blocked from answering.

Please pay close attention to the following guidance:

• Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid

• Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

• Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.

draft saved

draft discarded

StackExchange.ready(
            function () {
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fsuperuser.com%2fquestions%2f1378070%2fmemory-failure-on-dimm2-dell-t3500%23new-answer', 'question_page');
            }
            );

Post as a guest

Popular posts from this blog

Plaza Victoria

In PowerPoint, is there a keyboard shortcut for bulleted / numbered list?

How to put 3 figures in Latex with 2 figures side by side and 1 below these side by side images but in...