How to remove the keyboard from a Lenovo T400?

I am trying to take off the keyboard of a Lenovo Thinkpad T400. I have seen several YouTube tutorials, an official video by Lenovo and followed this tutorial. I already removed all screws not only the marked ones.

However the keyboard does not lift up on the right side. It feels as if there is a screw but it is not. Could be that the keyboard has melted with some other component? What am I doing wrong?

share|improve this question

• In response to your edit...pull harder or try prying it up to see if you can localize the spot where it appears to be stuck? There shouldn't be anything for it to catch on and I seriously doubt something's melted.

– Shinrai
    Sep 25 '12 at 22:36

• I fail to see how this is too localized compared to other model-specific questions, of which we have a ton. Was there a policy change I missed?

– Shinrai
    Sep 26 '12 at 14:26

• Yeah, this question will apply to many ThinkPads.

– paradroid
    Sep 26 '12 at 16:02

• Question reopened, this is not really how "too localized" should be interpreted.

– slhck
    Oct 6 '12 at 12:36

I am trying to take off the keyboard of a Lenovo Thinkpad T400. I have seen several YouTube tutorials, an official video by Lenovo and followed this tutorial. I already removed all screws not only the marked ones.

However the keyboard does not lift up on the right side. It feels as if there is a screw but it is not. Could be that the keyboard has melted with some other component? What am I doing wrong?

• In response to your edit...pull harder or try prying it up to see if you can localize the spot where it appears to be stuck? There shouldn't be anything for it to catch on and I seriously doubt something's melted.

– Shinrai

• I fail to see how this is too localized compared to other model-specific questions, of which we have a ton. Was there a policy change I missed?

– Shinrai

– paradroid

• Question reopened, this is not really how "too localized" should be interpreted.

– slhck

keyboard thinkpad

edited Jan 21 at 7:06

user5672

asked Sep 24 '12 at 22:54

JJDJJD

– Shinrai

– Shinrai

– paradroid

– slhck

– Shinrai

– Shinrai

– paradroid

– slhck

In response to your edit...pull harder or try prying it up to see if you can localize the spot where it appears to be stuck? There shouldn't be anything for it to catch on and I seriously doubt something's melted.

– Shinrai

In response to your edit...pull harder or try prying it up to see if you can localize the spot where it appears to be stuck? There shouldn't be anything for it to catch on and I seriously doubt something's melted.

– Shinrai

I fail to see how this is too localized compared to other model-specific questions, of which we have a ton. Was there a policy change I missed?

– Shinrai

I fail to see how this is too localized compared to other model-specific questions, of which we have a ton. Was there a policy change I missed?

– Shinrai

Yeah, this question will apply to many ThinkPads.

– paradroid

Yeah, this question will apply to many ThinkPads.

– paradroid

Question reopened, this is not really how "too localized" should be interpreted.

– slhck

Question reopened, this is not really how "too localized" should be interpreted.

– slhck

1 Answer

active

oldest

votes

These do come off as advertised - either you missed a screw (should be five total) or it's just stuck to something. I'm not really sure how it would be stuck, though...the newer ones don't require removing the palm rest so they can hang on that lip but this should be wide open.

share|improve this answer

• He needs to try pushing it upwards (ie. towards the base of the screen). It clicks in under the bottom edge (palmrest).

– paradroid
    Sep 26 '12 at 0:36

• @paradroid - That is true on newer systems, but not on the T400. You have to remove the palmrest entirely on these first. (The instructions do indicate that)

– Shinrai
    Sep 26 '12 at 2:46

• That's surprising, as that is how the keyboard fitted on my X200s, which is the same generation as the T400.

– paradroid
    Sep 26 '12 at 13:28

@paradroid - "s" SKUs were a bit different, as that was the first batch of them. The T400s also had that style keyboard, and existed alongside the T400. It wasn't adopted line-wide until the -10 series.

– Shinrai
    Sep 26 '12 at 14:28

• Finally, I managed to lift the keyboard with a help of a friend. There is actually a very sticky gum under the keyboard which I had to pull of very hard. It might be that it melted before because of too much heat and therefore became more sticky then normal. Thanks again for everyone's posts.

– JJD
    May 10 '14 at 22:33

Your Answer

StackExchange.ready(function() {
var channelOptions = {
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "3"
};
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
createEditor();
});
}
else {
createEditor();
}
});

function createEditor() {
StackExchange.prepareEditor({
heartbeatType: 'answer',
autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
convertImagesToLinks: true,
noModals: true,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: 10,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
imageUploader: {
brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
allowUrls: true
},
onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
});

}
});

draft saved

draft discarded

StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fsuperuser.com%2fquestions%2f479162%2fhow-to-remove-the-keyboard-from-a-lenovo-t400%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest

Required, but never shown

1 Answer

active

oldest

votes

1 Answer

active

oldest

votes

active

oldest

votes

active

oldest

votes

These do come off as advertised - either you missed a screw (should be five total) or it's just stuck to something. I'm not really sure how it would be stuck, though...the newer ones don't require removing the palm rest so they can hang on that lip but this should be wide open.

• He needs to try pushing it upwards (ie. towards the base of the screen). It clicks in under the bottom edge (palmrest).

– paradroid

• @paradroid - That is true on newer systems, but not on the T400. You have to remove the palmrest entirely on these first. (The instructions do indicate that)

– Shinrai

• That's surprising, as that is how the keyboard fitted on my X200s, which is the same generation as the T400.

– paradroid

@paradroid - "s" SKUs were a bit different, as that was the first batch of them. The T400s also had that style keyboard, and existed alongside the T400. It wasn't adopted line-wide until the -10 series.

– Shinrai

• Finally, I managed to lift the keyboard with a help of a friend. There is actually a very sticky gum under the keyboard which I had to pull of very hard. It might be that it melted before because of too much heat and therefore became more sticky then normal. Thanks again for everyone's posts.

– JJD

– paradroid

– Shinrai

– paradroid

– Shinrai

– JJD

answered Sep 24 '12 at 23:01

ShinraiShinrai

17.6k34272

17.6k34272

– paradroid

– Shinrai

– paradroid

– Shinrai

– JJD

– paradroid

– Shinrai

– paradroid

– Shinrai

– JJD

He needs to try pushing it upwards (ie. towards the base of the screen). It clicks in under the bottom edge (palmrest).

– paradroid

He needs to try pushing it upwards (ie. towards the base of the screen). It clicks in under the bottom edge (palmrest).

– paradroid

@paradroid - That is true on newer systems, but not on the T400. You have to remove the palmrest entirely on these first. (The instructions do indicate that)

– Shinrai

@paradroid - That is true on newer systems, but not on the T400. You have to remove the palmrest entirely on these first. (The instructions do indicate that)

– Shinrai

That's surprising, as that is how the keyboard fitted on my X200s, which is the same generation as the T400.

– paradroid

That's surprising, as that is how the keyboard fitted on my X200s, which is the same generation as the T400.

– paradroid

– Shinrai

– Shinrai

Finally, I managed to lift the keyboard with a help of a friend. There is actually a very sticky gum under the keyboard which I had to pull of very hard. It might be that it melted before because of too much heat and therefore became more sticky then normal. Thanks again for everyone's posts.

– JJD

Finally, I managed to lift the keyboard with a help of a friend. There is actually a very sticky gum under the keyboard which I had to pull of very hard. It might be that it melted before because of too much heat and therefore became more sticky then normal. Thanks again for everyone's posts.

– JJD

draft saved

draft discarded

Thanks for contributing an answer to Super User!

• Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid

• Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

• Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.

draft saved

draft discarded

StackExchange.ready(
function () {
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fsuperuser.com%2fquestions%2f479162%2fhow-to-remove-the-keyboard-from-a-lenovo-t400%23new-answer', 'question_page');
}
);

Post as a guest

Popular posts from this blog

Plaza Victoria

In PowerPoint, is there a keyboard shortcut for bulleted / numbered list?

How to put 3 figures in Latex with 2 figures side by side and 1 below these side by side images but in...